The students have been chosen for their passion for cooking and food culture and their backgrounds are as varied as their personalities.
With three of America's best chefs as their teachers and the city of L.A. as their classroom, this determined geoup will live and learn together but only one will win the apprenticeship of a lifetime.
MTV's Show "House of Food" premiere is on Sunday, 8th of June 2014 at 20:55 on MTV Schweiz.
For this occasion MTV has created a MTV "House of Food Cook Book", and I have decided to try out one of the recipes.
I have tried out the recipe for the "Crème Puffs".
Here is the recipe:
By Chef Brooke Williamson
2 packages of instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups of heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
- Mix together vanilla pudding mix, cream and milk. Cover and refrigerate to set.
- Pre heat oven to 220° degrees.
- In a large pot, bring water and butter to a roilling boil. Stir in flour and salt until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs one at the time, mixing well after each. Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 min in a pre-heated oveb, until golden brown.
- Fill with the pudding mixture using a pastry bag.
I had fun trying out the recipe, and it was pretty straight forward to do and I am not a Chef by any means so anyone can do it!
I think the only thing you really have to watch out is that your mixture has really to form a ball, that tells you is ready. It is also essential when adding the eggs that you add them one at the time making sure you only add the next one once you have mixed well the last one.
Leave a couple of cm between each spoonful when you dropping it in the baking sheet and cook without opening the oven for 20-25 min.
To insert the custard I made a cut on the top and injected it in each one.
The crème puffs came out pretty well , the only thing I have added o the recipe is a bit of caster sugar on top but that is only because I like them that way!